Thursday, July 17, 2008

Anime-ted Conversation

I was really encouraged today when Bill came to fetch me in the Staff Room. Why would that be encouraging, you ask? Well, as much as everyone loves Bill, it wasn't his presence that warmed the cockles of my heart – it was the message he carried: "Domenic's here for you." Domenic happens to be a crazy fun, 13 year old lad that I met precisely a week ago. Last week had been the time of the Art Elective; and last Thursday was actually the day that Leah was in charge of the Art Elective (teaching people how to make stellar bracelets). However, that happened to be the first day of the entire week that I'd had anyone come and draw with me. Let me take you back…

I was wandering rather aimlessly, that Thursday morning, when I saw Sarah drawing and talking with a boy at the Art Table. "Sweet!" I thought to myself. "I need to get in on this deal!" The boy was Domenic. I recognized him as the boy I'd seen the day before talking to Adam and Leah near the Basketball Court. Domenic, Sarah and I drew for a little bit and then Sarah was called away to go do Ink Speaks stuff. Domenic and I weren't talking for long before we discovered with no little excitement that Domenic and I both watch anime, and happen to have almost all of the same favourite shows: InuYasha, Naruto, Avatar: The Last Airbender, (he doesn't like One Piece but he respects that I'm in love with it), Full Metal Alchemist and Pokemon (some of which I've seen, but only the Old School episodes). Needless to say, we were pretty much insta-friends from that moment on. We chatted, drew, laughed, and discussed the finer points of various anime episodes in glorious detail. Our conversation was also spiced with more serious topics. Domenic told me all about how he used to bully people, until one day he realized that the people he was bullying were just like him.

The next day (Friday), Domenic showed up at the Dugout again – this time he brought a friend: a boy named Mitchell, with a Nintendo DS permanently fixed to his hand. So, today, when Bill tapped my shoulder and announced that Domenic was looking for me, it brought a smile to my face. I found him outside the Staff Room door and he quickly informed me that Mitchell would also be making a reappearance and I certainly hope that the pair of them make many more appearances in the future.


Melody


Image by FlamingText.com

Image by FlamingText.com



No comments: